ROMANTIC WOMEN'S FICTION . . . WITH A PARANORMAL TWIST . . .

Monday, October 13, 2008

Deep Sigh...

Okay, all this synopsis mess is doing is giving me heartburn. I'm seeing that as I break down my story, the required elements don't seem to be falling into their respectful little places. Looks like the meat really starts around Chapters 4-5, and yet the first three have vital info and alot of things I love.

Crap. Crap. Crap.

I'm having less and less time to work on it because my schedule at work has gotten more intense...although I work 7:30-4:00 every day and you can see what time of day I'm writing this. If I have time to blog, shouldn't I have time to edit and all that? Yes, but this actually gives me a sense of accomplishment and I can get it done in five minutes. Check it off my to do list. Yay me!

I used to write in the evenings every night, but that time has gotten increasingly crazy as well with teenagers, and the TV. Sometimes I have a hard time focusing...

Because sometimes I'm watching it too. Have I mentioned I have trouble multitasking?

2 comments:

ChristaCarol said...

Hang in there and keep at it. As much as we love parts of our books, it tales a real writer to be able to say "this can go" (I say that tongue and cheek but still mean it).

I feel your pain though.

Janet Reid said...

I vote to cut the first four chapters. Just cut them all out. Then sit on it for a week to ten days. Then go back and figure out what doesn't make sense. You can put in little bits of info here and there rather than all the chapters themselves.

And you'll be surprised perhaps at how intuitive your readers will be about following along.

I was at a conference this weekend and someone said most novels start out with three chapters of non-fiction: description and set up.

I think they were right.

Good luck! Press on!

And let me know when the hot tub is installed so we can be BFF!