ROMANTIC WOMEN'S FICTION . . . WITH A PARANORMAL TWIST . . .

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Mud...and mud...

Didn't get to write after all... my brother in law got sick so my husband didn't get to go hunting... so we were back on the remodeling. We rolled mud and stomped... and rolled mud and stomped. And scraped dry mud off the trim. And I now have mud in bad places.

But our bedroom now has textured walls! And we have new furniture floating around in ordered cyberspace somewhere, and my floor and baseboards in this room are probably the cleanest they have EVER been. Something about moving things around that haven't been moved in five years... eeeyyyyyeechhhh... you find some nasty stuff. I could probably eat off them now. Well until tomorrow, then the sheet rock dust will be back. Because there's that fifth wall called the ceiling that we have to do.

Anyway! I'm itching to get more queries out now that I've crossed that line, but since Jan 5 seems to be the magic date, I'm trying to wait so mine isn't in the giant email slush pile. I'm also itching to start my next ms, but there are so many unknowns I need to figure out first. Last time I just wrote anyway, and let the plot work itself out as I went, but I refuse this time. I want a plan and an outline, so I'm trying to fight the urge to just GO with it.

Do you outline? Do you structure? Or do you just run with it?

5 comments:

Melissa Marsh said...

I have to have some sort of structure, otherwise I will get hopelessly turned around and frustrate myself to no end. It's never a complete outline as I leave lots of room for surprises from my characters. :-)

Joanne said...

Hi Sharla, I clicked over from Janna's blog, enjoyed browsing here. I do outline, and also complete a lot of research before getting into the thick of writing. I find outlining keeps me on a clear path, and the research always turns up more detail to build plot & characters with. Good luck querying!

Janna Qualman said...

Hi, Melissa and Joanne! :)

Sharla, I had to debate over this just a month or so ago. I find what works best for me is forming a loose structure in my mind, and then running with it.

Good luck!

ChristaCarol said...

I'm a pants-plotter (plot by the seat of my pants kind of thing). I don't do outlines until i hit the horrid middle. I'm also a story dreamer. I think about the plot and the characters and the story for a few weeks before sitting down and going to it. I also, if needed, do research. I'm doing a YA that has some Greek mythology and other kinds of mythology in it, so I've been research reading as well.

I say go with it and stop giving yourself an excuse! :P And happy querying! I started submitting again as well :)

Sharla said...

Hi Joanne! Nicetameetcha!

Christa, my daughter would probably be all over that YA book you're doing. She's a giant info dump, absorbs trivia and history and knowledge like a sponge. And she is a freak for Greek mythology. We'll buy it!