ROMANTIC WOMEN'S FICTION . . . WITH A PARANORMAL TWIST . . .

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Voices in my head...

Three more queries out last night. AND for those in my "looking for an agent" shoes, Firebrand Literary has one more day left on their month long Query Holiday, in which they are accepting your first chapter in lieu of a query letter. They will read every single one, and respond if they are interested before Feb 1st. Hey, give it a shot, I did! It ends Jan 15.

There was a link off Jennifer Jackson blog from Sarah Monette, about hearing the voice of your characters. It's got me really curious about...me. She gets the words in her head, but doesn't hear her characters talking and kind of makes fun of people saying they do. Janet Evanovich's book "How I Write" has her saying a similar thing. Okay, either I'm schizophrenic, or some other problem, but I DO hear my characters. It's like a TV show in my head. Which may be because I'm a big TV person, but I'm very visual so my stories play in my head like I'm watching them. I say CUT and try again when something doesn't work. Okay I don't actually say cut, but you get the picture, right? So my characters actually do talk to each other and live and breathe and have body language and everything, right in front of me.

Am I the only one that visualizes this way?

5 comments:

Janna Qualman said...

I've never really thought I heard my characters, but the story definitely unfolds like a show in my mind. I love watching it, to see what happens next.

Angie Ledbetter said...

Welcome to the CVC (Crazy Voice Club). :)

Kathryn Magendie said...

Thanks for stopping by my place *smiling*

Everyone has their way, their thang...and how they hear or see or feel their characters is a very personal thing

I don't "hear" them talking, but as i type, they do the talking - if that makes sense - like, I get out of the way and let the character kind of take over... I lose all track of time and space...but, I also can't visualize my characters whole - only in pieces, which is why so many times I'll just talk about their hair or teeth/smile or if they are tall...

Whatever we all do, it's just such a cool experience, isn't it?

Sharla said...

Absolutely. I love it, and you're right, Kathryn, it is like a private party in your head. I totally know what you mean about the characters taking over the writing. Doesn't happen every time, but when it does, it's awesome.

Travis Erwin said...

I wish more agencies would take that first chapter approach.

And thank you for all you have done for me and my family this past week. The whole ordeal has been easier to shoulder thanks to our many friends.