ROMANTIC WOMEN'S FICTION . . . WITH A PARANORMAL TWIST . . .

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

An office by any other name...

Got a few words slogged out on the screen last night...hubby had a class and daughter had dancing and son was running the roads...so I had blissful quiet to actually write. I've forgotten what that is like. When I originally wrote my book six years ago, I was a single mom with just my daughter, and she'd go to bed and I had all the time at night to myself. I also owned and ran a bookstore at the time, so when things were slow... alot... (alas, since I no longer have that business, you can guess how slow) I wrote there.

Now I'm married, with my teenager plus one, and a full time job so when I get home it's massive chaos. And when my husband gets home he's a talker. And he likes the TV screaming.

I can edit something with all that going on, but I've started book number two and I'm finding that I cannot write "new" with that much distraction. I have to dive in. I have to get in the car with my characters and participate in their conversation. I can't keep jumping in and out of the car window to answer my husband's question about taxes or comment about what Bill O'Reilly just said. Or I need to tell my character to get a convertible because I'm getting bruised up.

Ohhhhh, to have a room all to myself to write in...that would be nice. But not happening in my house. We are stacked deep. I mostly write in bed propped on pillows with my laptop. Until my legs go dead.

Where do you write?

9 comments:

DebraLSchubert said...

I'm LUCKY - I write in my bedroom all day long. I've got a desk in my sitting area that looks out my front window (right now over a beautiful snow-filled scene) and when I can't sit up anymore, I do what you do - plop up pillows and write in bed. I'm so glad you found my blog! I'm going to add you - feel free to do the same.;-)

Melissa Marsh said...

I have a combination of bedroom/office, but I don't do my writing there (mostly because I sit in front of a computer at the day job and I get tired of it). For my writing, I use my laptop, which isn't hooked up to the Internet, and I sit on the couch. There's no t.v. to distract me and my daughter is usually busy in her room doing something.

kimmirich said...

I corner I carved out in dining room, but, alas, no doors. ;D

Sharla said...

Debra--you ARE lucky! And I've added you too.

Melissa--that's so good that your laptop isn't connected to the internet. That's my downfall, when my brain starts wandering or I get stuck, it's too easy to get online!

Angie Ledbetter said...

Mostly in my home office.

DebraLSchubert said...

Sharla, You're not showing up in my "Followers" section. I don't know why...:-(

M. L. Kiner said...

"The Hong Kong Connection" is a legal thriller about a gutsy female attorney who takes on high ranking International officials. It's a taut, rollercoaster of a ride from New York to Palm Beach to Washington D.C. to Hong Kong. The plot is expertly woven, the characters persuasive, and the dialogue snappy and spot on.
www.StrategicBookPublishing.com/TheHongKongConnection.html

M. L. Kiner said...

"The Hong Kong Connection" is a legal thriller about a gutsy female attorney who takes on high ranking International officials. It's a taut, rollercoaster of a ride from New York to Palm Beach to Washington D.C. to Hong Kong. The plot is expertly woven, the characters persuasive, and the dialogue snappy and spot on.
www.StrategicBookPublishing.com/TheHongKongConnection.html

Janna Qualman said...

I hear you!

I've got that own space of mine - which I LOVE! - but what I hadn't counted on was the echo and noise that carries up from the rest of the house. It won't be too bad once both my kids are in school and the days are quiet. Still, I'm making it work now.