ROMANTIC WOMEN'S FICTION . . . WITH A PARANORMAL TWIST . . .

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Ugly trees

I did sit down to write last night. I really did. Had some pre-thoughts during the day to continue a scene. And I wrote maybe two sentences. Went back and read everything prior, (only 16 pages) and was kind of blown away to realize it's complete bunk. Boring as a tree growing next to a rock. And not a pretty tree, either, I'm talking ass ugly, and the rock is gray.

I don't quite know what to make of that. I'm sad because this was a story growing in my head for a long time, but down on paper it's just not doing it. It doesn't have enough behind it. And I think that's why I've had so much trouble getting back to writing it. And it was more serious than I normally write too, and I think I just need to stick to what's true to me. I have to write funny.

So now I find myself in a dilemma of trying to find another story to tell, because I need to be working on something. I have a seed growing, I have to go to jury duty today so I'll sit there and indict people while thinking on this idea. :)

7 comments:

Janna Qualman said...

I know where you're coming from. The idea I had before my current WIP made it about 3 chapters before I realized it wasn't what I thought it would be. And though Stephen King (among others) says not to abandon ANY idea, just to stick with it, I couldn't continue. And I think that was the best choice for me, as it likely is for you. Good luck as you come up with something new. And bring on the funny!

Durn ugly-a$$ trees.

Melissa Marsh said...

I do think there are some ideas that just aren't good for us, no matter how we try to make them work. I say let go of it and work on something else. Perhaps it's just not the right time for this particular idea, but maybe months or years from now, it will be.

DebraLSchubert said...

I'm so jealous! I've always wanted to be selected for jury duty! I've gotten letters in the mail twice, and both times called the night before only to hear "your number isn't needed, thank you." WTF? Don't these people know I'm a True Crime freak? Knowing my luck, I'll get called one day and it'll be for a candy store theft or white collar crime. BORING! Enjoy your time serving the country, and while you're there write something totally kick-ass. Just make sure you don't kick anyone's ass, or you might end up sitting in the defendant's box. Of course, that could produce an idea for a great story, so who am I to say? OK, write something kick-ass AND kick someone's ass. Either way, have a great day.;-)

Rebecca Nazar said...

Are you being too critical? Is there a way to approach this theme/plot from a bittersweet angle? My humble opinion, possibly it needs a slight injection of humor--a reboot of sorts. Good luck.

Sharla said...

As much as I'd love to just change up the current story, my mc won't bend. She insists on being too serious, too bland, and she's pissing me off! So I think the idea of putting it aside and moving on is best. Sigh... But thanks for all the input!

kimmirich said...

Maybe you'll get some much needed inspiration at the courthouse, if you look carefully. I can almost visualize anything but bland going on in that setting. : D

Kathryn Magendie said...

what if you kept writing - from where you left off and see what comes out - just write freely ..la tee dah writing!