ROMANTIC WOMEN'S FICTION . . . WITH A PARANORMAL TWIST . . .

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Don't you wish you'd invented "muggles"?

Knight Agency is taking submissions of your three best sentences to pitch your book. Go to the link for details. I threw mine out there yesterday.

You know, I have to say that writing a paranormal piece has opened my mind up to so many other things. I never considered it before, I always stuck with mainstream, but it's so fun to just make up the rules for yourself. Like JKRowling coming up with "muggles". It's just cool. It's got me thinking about other things I want to do, and unless I want to be doing them when I'm 80, I think they need to be short fiction. I've been wanting to do that anyway, get something published somewhere, but I barely have time to write as it is and I have a hard time adding to that. I don't know, maybe I have an open spot at 3am? Sleep is overrated. Just produces drool, anyway.


But I think I need to start scoping that idea out, and throw some stories out there to the wind. If for no other reason than to get them out of my head and I can say, "There!"

6 comments:

Kathryn Magendie said...

What if you just decided to let yourself write whatever you felt like at that moment - some free-writing - just start out, la tee dah - and see what happens - even if it starts nonsensical....like:

Beth stared at the fire. In those flames were things she thought important once. Not anymore. Not since that day at the beach. She stood, stretched her arms over her head, and without a thought to the pain that it may cause -- not her pain, not his pain, not her family's pain -- she walked away, and she kept walking, she walked until she lost herself. She will never be found again. When she comes out of the other side, she will be someone new.

See? Just non sense bullpatootie that came out of my fingers without thinking about it - if I kept going, where would it lead me? Who is Beth? what happened to her? What's she burning - I have NO idea *laughing*

Sharla said...

You're right, and I so envy that! I have so much trouble just freewriting. I'm too controlling...god did I just say that? I feel like everything has to be organized and lead to something. I need to quit that. I wanna be free!!!!

Sharla said...

And the funny thing is...I used to do that. Where did that go?

kimmirich said...

((Sharla)) You can do it! And maybe get yourself into a new setting. Or redecorate your writing space, throw some different pillows in there. Hang a different pic or just get outdoors with a pad n' pen, maybe under a tree in a park...

Janna Qualman said...

Absolutely! Try the short fiction. Flash is awesome, because it's less than 1000 words: you can totally make something of that fly-by-night inspiration, the one that doesn't fit into your larger WIPs. I love it!

Lynnette Labelle said...

With shorter fiction, you'd have almost instant gratification of having a completed story.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could write and write and write, without ever having to worry about editing? Ahhh... I can dream, can't I?

Lynnette Labelle
http://lynnettelabelle.blogspot.com