ROMANTIC WOMEN'S FICTION . . . WITH A PARANORMAL TWIST . . .

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Sequins and spangles and ka-chingers...oh my!

Vote for our Gumbo Writer's blog here! Quick...go now! You can always come back!

Okay now.

I need to sit down and make a list (because I'm a list person) of everything I need to do. I'm so overwhelmed. Between the kitchen remodel---ugh---and work and writing (what's that?) and now my daughter's recital time is coming up. Down here, that's almost as religious as football, and recitals aren't little things. They are broadway productions with costumes that cost a small fortune and have enough bling on them to light up the stage with no electricity. Bling that we have to purchase and apply ourselves. This time of year I am the queen of E6000 (craft glue) and a ka-chinger machine. I have no idea what this little machine gun actually is called, but every dancer mom I know calls it a ka-chinger. (I'll have to take a pic of it) You know those little plastic string tab things that have "T" ends and hold price tags or brand tags and you have to cut them off? The ka-chinger attaches those and makes a (wait for it) "ka-ching" noise. Shocking, isn't it? We use them for spangles, in lieu of sewing, and the glue for the 85 million sequins. I was a horrible daughter growing up and refused to learn to sew, so I'm a gluer/ka-chinger.



I can't find last year's pics so here's from 2 yrs ago. She was in Production, jazz, ballet, hip hop, lyrical, pointe, and Finale. Here are just a few, not all. The Production theme was "Circus" and she was a clown. More spangles than I've ever seen in my life. And I think more were added after this.





This was Finale

Jazz Hip Hop

And that hip hop one was nothing on last years, where I had to do a full Yin Yang symbol in #10 red and silver sequins almost 2x2 feet across.

Anyway, it's almost time for me to put all other life aside, and dedicate myself to the endless supply of sequins and spangles. Yee haw.


On another note, Kat Magendie had a blog post the other day about pics of her Favorite Things, and I like that. I'm gonna have to work one of those up. Very cool!

6 comments:

Lynnette Labelle said...

Ahhh... Brings back memories. I used to take all kinds of dance classes, too. I really feel for my mom, who had to sew all those costumes. I'm not sure what I'll do when my girls are in the same situation since I'm not a sewer. Guess I'll have to invest in a ka-chinger. LOL

Lynnette Labelle
http://lynnettelabelle.blogspot.com

Rebecca Nazar said...

I am in awe. Oodles of kudos to you, Great Ka-Chinger.

Melissa Marsh said...

Ok. I am secretly hoping that my daughter never takes a fondness for the dancing with sequins, etc. type of stuff. Not that I would discourage her if she ever DID want to do it...

She's shown interest in gymnastics, but that's been about it. I could handle gymnastics. I don't think they have sequins on their uniforms, do they? *grin*

DebraLSchubert said...

Makes me glad I had two boys! The only time I hear "ka-ching" is when they ask for money (i.e., all the freaking time!). Please post some pics of your daughter in this year's costumes - I want to see the results of all your hard work!

Sharla said...

There's a new nickname for me, Great Ka-Chinger. How sad is my life? LOL

Melissa, I think gymnastics is sequin-safe!

I will post the new costumes when all is said and done. That will be late May, if that says anything. Takes 2 freakin months to do all this. :)

Janna Qualman said...

We tried dance with my oldest when she was 3, and it was great for coordination and socialization, but it didn't stick. I'm kind of relieved! :)

Is it called a Bedazzler?