ROMANTIC WOMEN'S FICTION . . . WITH A PARANORMAL TWIST . . .

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Twitches and winks and double blinks...

Here I am, all "linky" again. So proud of myself. Barbara Poelle had a great post about character traits that really made me laugh. I try really hard to put quirky things into my characters to make them human and funny because people relate better I think to flawed characters. No one wants to read about (at least I don't) perfect people with perfect bodies and perfect lives, that's just depressing and I get enough self doubt in my life! :) I like to read that someone chews their lip when they are nervous, or has to wear long shirts to cover the mushroom that seems to be happening over their jeans since everything is now low rise and not friendly to those of us with real anatomy and ribcages. And women that get zits and have bad hair days and guys that might have to do everything in fives because they--just have to, or only smile for pics with their mouth closed because they don't like their teeth. Or maybe someone has a crossword puzzle addiction and can't think through a Sunday without stopping to get a paper first.

And I personally pull from real life around me. And right now, my teenage daughter is giving me all the material I need, she's that weird. LOL. Not really. She's just 14, and that says it all.

What traits do you see in people that you can't wait to use?

4 comments:

DebraLSchubert said...

This may sound terrible, but I use traits to get revenge on people. Like a neighbor who suggested we get new shutters because "one's a bit crooked" or another neighbor who posted nasty anti-Obama signs on her front lawn during the election (are you starting to wish you lived in my neighborhood?). Or my friend who eats salad w/o dressing for fear those extra calories will warp into a giant fat monster and turn her into Mama Cass. This same friend gets a donut for us to share, takes a Mini-Mouse sized bite and then says, "You eat it - it looks better on you." She weighs about as much as my left arm. I've based the best friend in my book on her - too much fun!

Melissa Marsh said...

Hmm. That's a good question and one I'm going to have to think about. If I stop and think about it, everyone has unique traits - and you're right - I'd much rather read about an "imperfect" person than a Barbie doll!

Angie Ledbetter said...

I borrow real heavily from real life and people, so it's easy.

Lynnette Labelle said...

LOL Debra! Too funny!

Although, I do use types of people from some I've seen in real life, I don't always think of the little thinks like zits or no salad dressing. I'll have to start noticing that sort of stuff around me and take notes!

Lynnette Labelle
http://lynnettelabelle.blogspot.com