ROMANTIC WOMEN'S FICTION . . . WITH A PARANORMAL TWIST . . .

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Let the words flooooooooowwww from thy pen...

I bought a little red spiral yesterday. It makes me happy. *big cheesy grin*

Nathan Bransford has a blog entry going on "Where Do You Write?" and I've addressed this issue before but it got me thinking how my writing has changed lately. Maybe because there is so much chaos in my house right now with the remodel and such, I don't know, but my usual way of writing (on my laptop in bed) isn't working all that great.

The screen is intimidating me.

Unless I just have a burst of inspiration and have to get the words down...that works okay... but if I just sit down to have something come to me, the screen and I look at each other. We check out each other's shoes. We make mental notes about the other one's hair. And then I go to Facebook or here or AW or PM or anywhere but back at that snarky, uppity, judgmental screen.

So lately, I've been grabbing a pen and paper and just babbling. And I notice that all my old hangups about editing as I go and it all having to be right and punctuated and in order and in perfect format and the storyline lining up exactly as it is supposed to be via the World According to Sharla the Control Freak---are not there. I can scribble. I can babble. I can make notes in the corners and suddenly have a thought and draw lines and arrows and circles and scratch outs.

We had this conversation not too long ago. About being able to be free. I've finally figured it out, by God! Now, I don't know how long this epiphany will work for me, but for now it's pretty cool. When I sit down to the computer amidst numerous TV shows DVR'd and waiting for me, I am just typing from my chicken scratch, making corrections here and there, and then sometimes get the inspiration to keep going.

So.

Yesterday I felt the need to buy a fresh new little red spiral. Yes, red. Of course it's red. Do you KNOW me at all?? :) And I bought some different colored ball point pens. Not gel. Can't stand gel. And some little post it flags. And I'm keeping it in my car to grab those moments of inspiration to scribble whatever comes to me, and then I can note it on a post it so I can find the subject later.

I felt so friggin artistic, I almost went and bought a Latte. But then Starbucks was too far away, and my gas tank was holding its little throat in thirst, so my artistic ideas gave in to reality and therefore I had to as well.

But I have two little stories started in my little red book. Don't know where/if/when they will become anything, but they are there! In aqua and pink ink! Thinking of going orange today.

8 comments:

Lynnette Labelle said...

What a great idea! Hey, whatever inspires the muse, right?

Lynnette Labelle
http://lynnettelabelle.blogspot.com

Janna Qualman said...

Go you!!

Rebecca Nazar said...

The different inks is a wonderful idea. Black and blue are not all that inspiring or fun; traditional black harkens back to school where you had to write essays and stuff.

Good luck to you:-)

Jenny said...

I hate gel pens, too. And love little post-its. It's amazing how the right tools can inspire!

Keep writing, Sharla!

Angie Ledbetter said...

Hoooahhhhh on longhand!

Kathryn Magendie said...

Oh, a little red book filled with the ghosts of promise!

Happy creating....

kimmirich said...

Good for you, Sharla!!!

Danielle said...

I totally get the long-hand thing! I've got dozens of notebooks filled with ideas that got started on paper and eventually migrated to the computer. There's just something more... substantial about holding a pen in your hand. The nifty colours help, of course!