ROMANTIC WOMEN'S FICTION . . . WITH A PARANORMAL TWIST . . .

Friday, April 3, 2009

O Phone, Where Art Thou?

I can't find my cell phone. And I'm losing my mind!!

I remember 15 years ago when I got my first cell phone, and it was large and clunky and I never turned it on, I only got it because I was pregnant and wanted something for emergencies. What did we do without these little lifelines that connect us to the rest of the world without ever having to go home and wait for that thing attached to the wall to ring? I feel lost and disconnected, like I've lost an appendage.

I can kind of relate to my daughter's angst when she gets her phone taken away (way too often). And kids these days have no concept of being without one. I remember being 14 and being so excited because we got Call Waiting on our home phone...I got it for my birthday, and I was over the moon because then I wouldn't miss anyone calling! And when I left the house, I truly disappeared. My mom had no real idea where I was till I got home. And I'd better be home at my curfew and not one second later and if something was going to delay that then I'd better find a PAYPHONE and call. And then I'd better be crippled and dying.

Okay, got off the subject, sorry.

I'm feeling the need to go scour the floorboard of my car, because maybe it's dead and missing me, and that's why it won't sing to me when I call it.

6 comments:

Travis Erwin said...

Whistle for it. Maybe it will come a running.

Janna Qualman said...

I panic when mine goes AWOL. Hope you find it, lady!

It wouldn't have run away, right? Surely you treat it well...

Sharla said...

I'm thinking I'm pretty nice to it, it has a good home. It's red. So of course I love it! It wasn't in my car so I'm about to go home at lunch and try Travis's whistling idea. The cockatiels will answer me. The dog will come running because she gets jealous when I "talk" to the birds. I'm hoping my phone will use its last dying bit of energy to limp out from under the bed or something. "I'm here, Mom...cough...choke...I'm--here."

Melissa Marsh said...

It's so strange how we become dependent on the little things. It's my only phone (I don't have a house phone hooked up), so I would truly miss it. But I didn't get a cell phone until about five years ago.

Sharla said...

I found my little red friend! It was out on the deck in the backyard, thankfully under cover because we had a monster storm yesterday. It was sitting there all patient and still charged, with 12 missed calls and a smile.

Lynnette Labelle said...

I'm glad you found your phone. My husband "lost" his a few weeks ago. He gave himself until the end of the day to find it. After that he was going to call the cell company and cancel the number. No sense giving someone else the opportunity to call China and France. LOL Well, wasn't I the hero when I found it on the couch. It must've slipped out of his pocket when he took a nap at lunch. What would he do without me? LOL

Lynnette Labelle
http://lynnettelabelle.blogspot.com