ROMANTIC WOMEN'S FICTION . . . WITH A PARANORMAL TWIST . . .

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Random Blurbage

Okay, I decided to go for it and throw out a blurb from my finished book, Outside The Lines. What the heck. Not even sure if it will always be Thursday, just whenever! Breaking those "rules" GW! LOL.


Mom and I took Gino for her final dress fitting on Monday, at the ungodly hour of seven a.m. We sunk into plush, overstuffed chairs, drinking see-through coffee from tiny cups. When the lady first brought them to us, I laughed out loud.

“Are we playing tea party?”

“Excuse me?” the lady asked, clearly immune to my wit.

“Or are there little tiny people that come with these?”

I attempted an innocent look and got blankness in return. I shook my head and waved it off, as my mother glared at me. My mother always glares at me. I’m not sure she owns another expression.

Our mother, Emma Anne Daltry, known to all as Miss Emma, is tiny and perfect, perpetually coifed and always impeccably dressed. Gino and I passed her up in height in the ninth grade, and look nothing like her. It was her doing that got us there before hours. She can arrange wind direction if she puts her mind to it. She has the entire town of Copper Falls wrapped around per perfectly manicured pinky.

“Who are you bringing, Grace?”

“Myself,” I said on a yawn.

“I would think you would be a little more into this for your sister’s sake.”

“Mom, I’m here, aren’t I?” I replied. “I’m as into this as I could possibly be.” I winked at Gino. “I’m going to wear that slut dress for her, now if that doesn’t prove unconditional love, I don’t know what does.”

Mom sighed heavily. “Go ahead, complain about everything, Grace. Makes your father and I really want to do all this again for you when it’s your turn.”

“Oh please, I don’t think you’ll be breaking out Dad’s wallet anytime soon on my account, Mom. Just give me a JP on a beach and a big party.”

Miss Emma looked horrified. “Grace Anne.”

“Shoes are optional,” I added, ignoring her and relaxing into the cushions. “Besides, no men on the horizon to threaten a name change anytime soon, so can we just focus on why we came here at the crack of dawn?”

“Don’t you think you should work on that?” Mom said.

I cocked an eyebrow. “Work on what?”

“A man? Before you’re forty?”

I had to laugh. “Well, sure, Mom. That gives me ten years to get right on that.”

“I’m just saying--”

“Well, quit. You don’t need to. I don’t need a man right now.”

“Because Luke fits that bill,” Gino said under her breath, and gave me a sideways glance to see if she needed to duck. She knows how dead that horse is.

“Just never gets old, Gino.”


She giggled. “I’m just saying.”

“Cute.”

She looked gorgeous, her hair cascading down in auburn waves, which I suspected wouldn’t be the case on the big day, but still it made a pretty picture. Besides the whack hair, we have deep green eyes that evidently come from some long dead ancestor we’ve never seen.

There was a commotion in the other room. Muffled voices that I couldn’t make out until a familiar one made its presence known.

“I don’t care how closed you are, my granddaughter is here. Please step aside.”

I had to chew my lip to suppress a grin as I glanced at my mother and watched her jaw tighten and her shoulders wilt. That must be what I look like when I hear her coming.

4 comments:

Janna Qualman said...

Sharla! LOVE it.

More please.

Melissa Marsh said...

This is great. Wow. The last sentence is PERFECTION.

Angie Ledbetter said...

Hey, give us more!!!

Break them rules, girlie. It suits ya. :)

DebraLSchubert said...

Nice work, Sharla! Can't wait to read more.

BTW - check out my blog later on. You might recognize someone there.;-)