ROMANTIC WOMEN'S FICTION . . . WITH A PARANORMAL TWIST . . .

Thursday, June 4, 2009

A Bug's Life

My home is being invaded lately by a being I've never had to deal with before. It's those walking stick bugs. In my house. WTH???

Let me say that I do live in an area where bugs are BUGS, I mean it is Texas. And being down so close to the coast, we have to share our life with cockroaches the size of small dogs and they will stand up on their back legs and shake your hand before they fly at you. Some call them waterbugs, some say palmetto bugs, I really don't care what their names are, they were here with the dinosaurs and they will be here when everything else is gone again. They never go away. They persevere. And they are my weakness. I can at least kill them now, in my great wise age of 42---as long as they aren't on the ceiling. Then it's a whole new ball of wax. I'm screwed in that situation. (~~body shiver~~) My husband thinks I'm pathetic, but that's okay, I'll let him be my Great White Slayer.

But back to the Walking Sticks. This is new. And it's creeping me out. They are so freaking bizarre looking, and I don't EVER remember seeing so many around---outside, much less in my house. NEVER in my house. And my husband tells me that they are good bugs and help things by eating other things (cockroaches?? could it be??) and help our garden so not to kill them.

Okay.

See, I could kill them and get a papertowel and get rid of them and be okay. But now that's against the new buggy law kind of like removing that mattress tag. So I have these live asparagus looking things with 85 legs appearing at random places and giving me cardiac arrest and I'm supposed to pick them up and toss them out the back door so they can go back to doing whatever job they are so good at that keeps them indispensable.

Um...no.

I'm thinking my husband will change his mind soon when he gets tired of being called upon to do this little duty. God, I hope so. My dog is getting the willies too, and the two of us don't handle this stress well.

6 comments:

Melissa Marsh said...

Ewwwww...bugs! Still, I'd rather have bugs than mice.

Sharla said...

Oooooooh yeah, I've danced that dance before. You're right. That was worse. That's a whole other blog post.

Mary Lindsey said...

Fun post. Roaches, ew. I love walking sticks, though. *hides under chair*

Sharla said...

LOL Mary! I'd probably like them more if they were walking outside instead of up my kitchen wall or on the laundry room floor where I walk barefooted! eyeccchhhhhh...

colbymarshall said...

hahahaha...SAVE THE STICKS! It's kind of like beached whales, only better! I imagine you holding one between two fingers and running for your back door. CRACKING ME UP!

Patresa Hartman said...

walking stick bugs? like...praying mantises? in your house? yikes! what a strange house bug!