ROMANTIC WOMEN'S FICTION . . . WITH A PARANORMAL TWIST . . .

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Abra Cadabra... Poof!!

Do you ever wish they'd (whoever "they" are) would invent a gadget to just capture your thoughts directly to the screen...or paper...or whatever your tool of choice is? I would pay big money for that. I bought a recorder, but that doesn't pan out all that well either. I go all day at work running various scenes through my head, stopping, cutting, redirecting, rerunning...because I'm visual and I don't see words, I see it like a movie. I get all this going on, and then if I ever get the chance to grab a pen, it's like...hmmm. It goes away or falls flat.

Maybe that's my problem--not seeing the words. I'm constantly having to rework what I see, like expressions, body language, movement, into the written form, and it falls flat so I get disgusted with it. You know what I mean? When you watch a scene on TV, and there may be a 3 second flash to someone's face and their expression means EVERYTHING. I have trouble conveying that without it becoming overkill and too much description that later has to be cut and therefore taking the meaning with it.

Anyone else have this problem or have any great magic methods of overcoming it?

5 comments:

Janna Qualman said...

Yes. Something is definitely "lost in translation," if you will. I think we have to master our form of creativity as best we can, realize it's such a different output than that which is visual, like a movie. When we can recognize the difference, how it plays out in written form, we can better grasp the craft.

Man, that answer is so overblown and puffy.

Sharla said...

You should probably be a writer. :)

DebraLSchubert said...

Sharla, Tough problem. The minute you start describing how someone is acting or looking it becomes overkill. The key is to try and convey it in the dialogue, which is one of the finer points of writing. The good news and the bad news is the only way to get better at it is to keep writing.;-)

Travis Erwin said...

I can't tell you how many ideas of mine have dies in the brain to paper stage.

Angie Ledbetter said...

Write it down then keep moving. If you're getting bogged down in the minute stuff, it's hard to make progress. Write now, edit later!