ROMANTIC WOMEN'S FICTION . . . WITH A PARANORMAL TWIST . . .

Monday, August 10, 2009

Jump on and ride!

Melissa at Grosvenor's Square has a fantastic post today that I just have to talk about. It's about pursuing your passion or your dreams.

Like Melissa, I've been writing since I was a kid, and drawing and painting and crafting and anything that can be construed as creative. In junior high and high school, I was known for writing poems, which to read them now seem hokey but I actually had an old friend tell me on Facebook the other day that she still has a couple of them, she kept them because the words meant something to her personally. Blew my mind. You never know how what you do may affect someone else.

I originally went to college for art, thinking that was my passion. It was. Life got in the way of that, but I can still draw, paint, or whatever I really want to do in that regard.

I created, opened, and ran a very unique little bookstore for a while, thinking THAT was my passion. And it was. Life got in the way of that, too, but it opened doors for me that I wouldn't have known about now.

Throughout the last 20-30 years, I have had different things driving me, but writing has always been there in some way. Which is NOW my passion.

I pursued the others, and I'm glad I did because it got me where I am and I enjoyed it all. I can say I went to art school and did some amazing things. I can say I owned a bookstore, my dream business. Now I'm pursuing this passion, of writing novels, and it would have been really easy to put aside and say someday...someday... when there's more time, when the kids are gone, blah blah blah...

But those "times" never come. Life always gets in the way. You have to grab the time you want, and say you're going to DO IT. And then just do it. I only get to do it for about an hour a day, because of all that "life" going on around me and a full time job and responsibilities, but I'm grabbing that hour and plugging away, little by little.

Melissa pointed out what she's showing her daughter, and I feel the same way. She's been seeing me write for some years now, and she knows how hard I'm working to become published and she sees me get excited about the process. I want her to see that it's possible. She saw me try the bookstore, and she saw me lose it. I hated that, but then again I've pressed the point that even though failure is a 50-50 shot, you take it anyway and enjoy the ride. And if you fail, you move on. Now she's watching me do this "writing thing" and she writes too, so hopefully, with all our fingers crossed, this one will hold up.

Regardless, it's worth the ride!

5 comments:

Lazy Writer said...

I'm crossing my fingers with you. My post is very similar today. :) So, needless to say, I couldn't agree with you more!

Melissa Marsh said...

Thanks for the nod. :-)

I think it's awesome that you've pursued your passions throughout life - and even though some didn't work out quite as you planned (the bookstore), it still led to other things at least you'll never have any regrets about it, no what if's!

Great post!!!

DebraLSchubert said...

"You only live life once."
"This ain't no dress rehearsal."

You know what those cliches have in common? They're true. Pursuing our passions is how we manifest our souls in the world. That, and loving each other, are two of the greatest gifts in life. Here's to you, Sharla, for pursuing your passions and making your dreams come true. And, good for you for setting such an example for your daughter.

Rebecca Nazar said...

Carpe Diem is the greatest motto a mom can teach her kids. :-)

Janna Qualman said...

And why can't our passions change with time, you know? I think we do what makes us happy, and it always leads to happiness.

You know, this is an excellent point, Sharla. What good lessons my kids can take from this thing I do, about dreams and about working hard and not giving up. Kudos.

And how awesome your friend kept thos poems.