ROMANTIC WOMEN'S FICTION . . . WITH A PARANORMAL TWIST . . .

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Sir, please go to the back of the line...

Doesn't it drive you crazy when the scene/paragraph/chapter you want to write decides to go on strike because the characters from a later one are being all pushy and cutting in line? I've been trying to work out this one section in my head all day and I keep going to another place that I'm nowhere near, but I guess I'm going to have to write it so it will shut the heck up!! But I really want to try not to, because it involves a relationship that doesn't exist yet and I feel like it will affect how I write everything before it.

So how do you handle these dilemmas? Do you write out of order, or push through and force the unbidden thoughts back in line to wait their turn where they belong? I know what I'll end up doing, but I'm curious what the rest of you would do.

5 comments:

Lazy Writer said...

I haven't purposely written out of order, but when I was revising my first ms, I realized certain scenes should come sooner in the book. So I had to rearrange a bunch of chapters. I think those pesky little characters tricked me! I didn't know they were cutting in line at the time, but now I do!

Kathryn Magendie said...

I don't move things around until I'm done, pretty much...unless something gnaws at me and I know I need to do it right then and there -- although VK2 seems to be coming out in the order it needs to come out, I do believe.....

Rebecca @sometimesnonsense said...

In my first novel I was all over the place writing whatever it was that called to me at that moment. Thankfully it came together well but this time I'm trying to be more strategic and color in the lines while I stick to the order of the story. We'll see how that comes out!

bryngreenwood said...

I am a hopelessly out of order writer. I just let scenes push their way to the front, regardless of how they'll fall in the book. Of course, this means that when I go back to revise it into a workable draft, I find myself moving HUGE chunks of stuff around. Often multiple times. And let's not even talk about the heavy edits required to adjust for changes in the order of events. It's not the most efficient approach, but it works for me.

Melissa Marsh said...

I can't write out of order. What I will do, though, is write down notes on the scenes that still need to be written. :-)