ROMANTIC WOMEN'S FICTION . . . WITH A PARANORMAL TWIST . . .

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Were you born with it??

... or did it find you?

Writing, that is...

Mandy at The Keyboard had a post on this topic and it got me thinking...

When did you start writing? Was it something you took up as a hobby? Something you discovered as a young adult? Later in life? Did you stumble into it?

Or have you always been in this world in some way?

I always had to be creative in some way. I wrote stories...silly ones, but still stories...as a kid. And poetry. And had one-woman soap operas going on all the time, acting them out in my backyard. And I was an artist. That's where I really thought I'd go, but real life didn't turn out that way. I've always had that itch when too much was going on that I'd have to take a break and do something artistic. Draw something or paint something, or even reorganize a room. That used to do it in a pinch!! LOL.

But writing always floated around, sometimes below the surface, sometimes up front and center. It was just something I did for me. Didn't tell too many people, and didn't really take it seriously. My mom liked it, but I could have been selling jelly beans and she would like it.

Eight years ago, I found an online critiquing group (sadly isn't there anymore) that was very laid back, we had to submit a monthly short story on a posted topic, and then everyone would critique. I was hooked. Those short stories became my passion, and then I started using the same characters, and some of the stories became the base of my first novel.

So my story is that writing was always there, but became more of my identity around 7-8 years ago.

What's your story?

5 comments:

Lazy Writer said...

I loved to write things since I was a kid. I wrote a couple of short stories when I was in college, and started a couple of novels. Then I got married and had a family and didn't get serious about writing until the last few years.

Angie Ledbetter said...

It's always been there with me like a true friend who loved and waited for me to find more time to share.

Natalie Murphy said...

I've been writing since I was little. My parents actually have some of my first poems from grade 1framed in their room. However, I think I think writing really took off for me my first year of university (this is my 3rd, and I'm 19). Since then I haven't been able to stop writing. While before it was simply a hobby I did every so often, now it's something I have to do to remain sane, LOL!

Janna Qualman said...

I think a certain part is innate, but the rest we have to find and recognize, help along the way.

The writing was there in school, but I didn't acknowledge it. When I got married and had kids, had all this life and emotion going on, I realized I wanted to put my words and feelings to paper. The rest is, you know, history. :)

Diane said...

Similar to yours. I only wrote for English classes and was told I was good, but never saw it as a passion or job for me. I just started blogging this year and it has sparked a new found excitement for writing and the endless possibilities. :O)