ROMANTIC WOMEN'S FICTION . . . WITH A PARANORMAL TWIST . . .

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Are you the party girl or the watcher?

Did 600 words before work this morning, which is a routine I kind of fell off of (oops, ending with a prep, sorry) lately, but it was a kickin' way to start off my day. Now I've spent the remainder of it playing scenes over and over. Unfortunately, they aren't what's next. I keep going to the end, to the almost-end, to the almost-almost-end, and working those out repeatedly in my head. I can't wait to get there! But I can't write them out of order because then it's like a deflated balloon...all the excitement is sucked out. Like reading the last page of a book before you read the story. Okay, granted it's MY story, so I can read the last page if I want to, but it still takes the fire out of it.

And as I was thinking about that, and then thinking I needed to come up with a blog subject, and then thinking that could BE my blog subject ...I got to thinking today about the nature of writing and how the internet has taken it to a new social level. I mean, think about it. Writers are by nature generally not the most social butterflies. Right? It's kind of a solitary calling. You and your stories and your characters, all talking together in your head...kind of schizophrenic sometimes.



But if you look at a party, all in all we probably relate closer to the quiet people watching from the corner than we do the boisterous cheerleader in the center of the room sucking up all the good air. At least inside. We may put on a good face and jump on out there, but most likely our insides are "fraidy frog jumping" to quote Kat! (Love that from your excerpt, Kat, love love love it and couldn't help myself.)

Then comes the internet. And boards like AW and Backspace. And Facebook. And...ahem... blogging. Talking and sharing and getting to know all these other people that are quiet in the corner like we are. And now all these people and places and resources are flashing like neon signs and it's magical and addictive and magnetic...pulling us out of our corners. Because these wonderful people are like us. Called and driven by the stories and characters that live in THEIR heads.

Then comes really stepping outside the box and going to group events and conferences...which I'm going to do in April and it scares the daylights out of me!! LOL! A whole room of us...wow, how awesome will that be? A bunch of people together in a place where we can actually say out loud, "I'm a writer," without the funny looks or smiles.

The internet has broadened so many paths, and I for one am so happy that I found all my writerly friends online. And come out of the corner to laugh with that girl in the center of the room.

Love you all!!

6 comments:

Lazy Writer said...

I couldn't agree with you more! I love this blogging community and all of its residents.

Rebecca Nazar said...

Yup, yup, blogging keeps the writer's blues at bay. Great post. :-)

Linda said...

I agree! The writers that I've met since I began blogging have inspired me constantly. BTW I love your routine of getting 600 words down before work. That's a great goal to aspire to.

Janna Qualman said...

Ditto. Yep. Uh-huh. Love!

bernthis said...

I absolutely love the social aspect of blogging. It's the best kind of writing in some ways b/c of that

Kathryn Magendie said...

*Grinning* -- teehee thankee for the mention...


I am the stand in thhe corner and watch girl - and every now and then if I do let loose, people go "HUH! WHa? look at Kat! omg!" *laughing!*

But thank gawd for the blogging community! I'd go insane otherwise!