ROMANTIC WOMEN'S FICTION . . . WITH A PARANORMAL TWIST . . .

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Is it going backwards, or just a different kind of forward?

Oh my fellow bloggity bloggers, it's happening, it's calling my name. Never thought it would, but the pull is mighty and tempting.

What might that be?

My previous novel. It wants me back.

And like an old and dear friend that has been around the block with you a time or two, seen you at your worst, laughed with you at your best, and knows all your deep dark secrets and who you had to kill to keep it alive...it knows what buttons to push to bring me back.

It knows me. It knows I'll come with open arms to my beloved characters that I lived with for five years. Yep. Five years. Off and on, but still. I love those people and they know it. It's a very sweet carrot dangling there.

I put it aside this past spring after querying got me nowhere, and I started my new wip. I'm a fourth into that one, and while I love it too, it hasn't won my soul over like the first one. Yanno how first love is!!!!

But all that wouldn't matter if I hadn't entered 250 words of the first one in the Secret Agent contest...and then started reading all the critting feedback. On just that 250 words, there is so much I can do better! I know so much now, that I can do better on that whole story. And now, instead of plugging through my workday plotting out the next scene on the new wip I will write when I get home, I'm sitting here today obsessing over the old one.

Partially because that one is familiar, probably. It's not new writing, it's tweaking, so it's easier. I know all that... but it's like a delicious piece of chocolate calling me!!!! LOL

6 comments:

Susan R. Mills said...

The same exact thing happened to me. I was four chapters into my second project and three into my third, and that first one kept calling me back to it. I've been revising (rewriting) it for the last six weeks, and I'm in love with it all over again. The new projects never sucked me in like the first one.

Janna Qualman said...

I know just what you mean. Good luck!

Erm... who exactly did you kill? ;)

Rebecca L Sutton said...

What a minute? Did I write this post for you? Because this is EXACTLY what is happening to me at this very moment. Yay, I'm not alone in this! I'm not crazy!

I never would have thought I'd be back at work on revising my first novel, but here I am. I ditched my current WIP at 27k and threw myself right back into my first love. haha Good to know we are in the same boat. Best of luck!!

Sharla said...

LOL! Susan and Rebecca, glad to see it's not just me! We have the same affliction.

Janna, you know how they say you have to "kill your darlings." Well....I killed a bunch of 'em.

Travis Erwin said...

I have answered that siren call several times, but I vow never to do so again. I have four completed novels and I've promised myself to work only on the currnet or next one and to quit revamping my older stuff.

Fran said...

I revamped my two books years and years later. It's never too late. We're told to put our final drafts aside for a bit before querying. It seems a 'bit' can be a long, long time. But why not?

NOW you see it with clear eyes. NOW you haven't the pressure of those miserable rejections hanging over your head. THIS time you'll get it right.

The other upstart WIP will politely wait it's turn.