ROMANTIC WOMEN'S FICTION . . . WITH A PARANORMAL TWIST . . .

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Set that hook and yank!

There is a wonderful post by Rachelle Gardner yesterday about openings. If you didn't already know, she was the fabulous Secret Agent this month at Miss Snark's First Victim. I actually remembered the deadline this time, set my cell phone to go off to remind me, and sent off a post that made it in the running.

I didn't win the contest, but I got some great feedback by the other entrants. I had sent the first 250 words of my first novel, which I haven't fiddled with since last January. The feedback was so eye-opening, and Ms. Gardner gave detailed critiques on each and every entry, which was phenomenal.

Her post above, was what she talked about after the contest, and all about how important your openings are. That 250 words doesn't seem like much, but it can make or break you. YOU know what comes next, but your reader doesn't, and if you don't have them drooling for more, they're going to close up shop and go elsewhere.

Excellent post, and really has my brain twisting on revamping my first chapter into something worthy!!

7 comments:

Melissa Marsh said...

I'll have to go check this out!

Jennifer Shirk said...

I missed it. I'll go check it out, too. :)

Janna Qualman said...

How cool! I didn't know that was the awesome critique you'd gotten. Now I understand why you want to pick the book up again!

Okay lady, your five words are: little, tissue, potato, kitchen and drive.

I've seen no rules. Those I've seen have done auto-biographical posts, but you know I did fiction. Take it where you want!

Susan R. Mills said...

I don't know how I missed that post. I'll go check it out now. Thanks.

Tamika: said...

I missed the contest, but congratulations on placing!

I'm glad I stumbled across your blog, my computer is acting zany so I will have to join as a follower at a later time.

I saw Rachelle's post (I never miss a day!). How marvelous to have her feedback that would feel like Christmas morning to me.
Happy writing!

Kathryn Magendie said...

Oh, those first 250--and the last 250 or so -- endings are so important to me....sometimes I think even more important than beginnings - you know? (but I'm not an agent) -- I can forgive a novel's slow start, but if I get to the end and the ending is bad - ARGGHHH! I want to throw the book across the room!

Kelly's Ideas said...

What a great talent to be able to write a book - wow...

Love to you.
Kelly