ROMANTIC WOMEN'S FICTION . . . WITH A PARANORMAL TWIST . . .

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Welcome to my brain...take a number

I'm feeling a bit like this guy right now... that keeps going and going and going...
except without the perky energy. Or the cool drum and sunglasses. Pretty much just set in motion without any hint of stopping on the horizon.

Since I stalled on my new wip, and blew the dust off the old one, I've managed to rework the entire first and second chapter to hopefully (crossing fingers and toes) pull off a better hook. I learned alot of what not to do from that Secret Agent contest. Now I just wish I could resubmit and say "Here, is this better? Can I get feedback again?" Yeah. Doesn't work like that.

But I'm trying to fit time in around also reading "The Hunger Games" before bed and somehow fitting in whatever is DVR'd and then there is the rest of my internal monologue.....

My daughter has marching contests
and Friday night football games and dance classes on Mondays and Tuesdays and band practices every day and when I get home from work and on the weekends, my house looks at me and says "You suck at this."

And it's right. I do.

My housecleaning has fallen right down the toilet....the one thing I have managed to clean lately. Everything else has that nice soft cushiony layer of dust, and the corners of the floor could probably create their own dog.

Speaking of the dog...she needs a bath. But she's not jumping in the tub to remind me.

But that does remind me that the tub needs scrubbing and really my stove does too, since my husband jumped in there and fried us eggs and bacon the other night which was divine but of course cleaning up wasn't part of the deal.

I'm trying to think what to cook tonight that doesn't involve having to clean the stove first since we have dancing and then helping my daughter study for a Biology test (do you know what a polymer is? Or a macromolecule? Or what habitat fragmentation is? HA! I do!!! See that tear? That's insanity creeping in!) that she has to ace to bring up a particularly nasty grade.

And I'm thinking I'm out of pepper and onions and fruit for lunches and I should go to the store so maybe picking up Popeye's chicken fits the bill for supper tonight. Which leads me to wonder what the state of my checkbook is, since I really have gotten way too used to online banking and haven't balanced it lately, and it's four days till payday so it's probably teetering on humorous.

And I'm not in the mood for the Popeye's people to laugh at me. Maybe I'll just suggest cereal. Oh crap, I'm out of milk.


10 comments:

Melissa Marsh said...

Ah, life. Don't you just love it? It's all grist for the writing mill...

Rebecca Nazar said...

My daughter devoured the Hunger books--pun intended.

You are submitting to creative non-fiction markets with these musings aren't you? If not, consider it . . . :-)

Sharla said...

You know, Rebecca, I have never considered that. Food for thought...hmmmm

Tamika: said...

My house said the same thing. Oh well, it can join the fan club of complainers.

Full stem ahead!

Susan R. Mills said...

I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one. My house is a disaster, and my family is scrounging for food. I even pulled a sweatshirt out of the dirty clothes for my son to wear this morning. Don't tell. I put it in the dryer with fabric softener so it smelled clean, and he has no idea. :)

Janna Qualman said...

Oh, Sharla. I can't tell you how much this post comforts me. Not because it's at your expense, because of what you're going through, but because my life (and house) are much the same way right now - and I had myself convinced I was alone. I'm disgusted with my housekeeping skills, disappointed with my lack of writing progress, completely imbalanced, and poised for another migraine. There's been so much to do, there's too much yet, and I just want a smooth ride. For just a little while?

You so deserve a nice day to youself. I say one of these first days here soon, you forewarn the family you'll be ducking out for as many hours as you can, and then you just go. You do for you.

Janna Qualman said...

Oh, poop.

I justthissecond occured to me, I promised my husband I'd finally get the grocery shopping done today. Since he's tired of eating cold cereal. Must plan how to get this done amongst other tasks.

Sharla said...

hee hee....Susan, what's scary is my daughter will do that herself with jeans if they aren't clean yet. That says miles about what her grownup life will be like!

Janna, I feel ya, girl! And I'd love to duck out if I had a few bucks to do something other than drive around..LOL!

Angie Ledbetter said...

We'd make great roommates if you could handle me and 17, 19 & 20 year olds.

Anita said...

I'm down to a really good cleaning once a month...and it's not a solo affair...everybody gets a dust cloth and we get down to business for a couple of hours and then it's done. I ignore the dust and grime until the next month. My favorite food is the whole chicken. Throw some olive oil and poultry seasoning on it and toss the sucker in the oven with some potatoes. Tastes like you spent a lot of time on it and takes about two minutes to prepare. I make soup with leftovers the next day...just add water, carrots, onion and celery to the chicken bits. Yummy and really inexpensive, too.