ROMANTIC WOMEN'S FICTION . . . WITH A PARANORMAL TWIST . . .

Friday, October 2, 2009

Writing is like a big fat gecko...

I don't know what critters abide where you are, but here in SE Texas, there are these little bitty geckos that come out at night, and generally cluster wherever there is light...because that's where the bugs are attracted to. Mosquitos are their biggest delicacy. These geckos are brownish but almost see through. Their skin is translucent, you can see the blood veins and their spine. They are usually only about 2-3 inches long, much smaller than their green lizard cousins.

Lately, there are two that have commandeered my kitchen window area, and as soon as the sun goes down, they are on the window, waiting for whatever will come to the light that emanates from the window. And I'm telling you--these are the biggest geckos I've ever seen.

Here is one of them, on the screen in the rain. I measured him, he's 5 1/2 inches. These guys are so big, so fat, I guess they have found themselves a sweet deal, sitting there picking off these bugs like---well, like flies. And in the process, they are becoming the gecko version of a man in an Easychair, plate perched on his belly.

They found something that worked, and stuck to it.

When I am working on my wip, I find that if I stick to my routine and my outline and my normal process, everything goes smoothly. I get more and more words filling up my word count. But if I deviate and try something different, get off my routine and try a different method, production gets skimpy. Creativity dries up.

These guys are smart. And they don't run any risk of being skimpy anytime soon...



4 comments:

Lazy Writer said...

I know what you mean. I've tried to do things a different way because of advice I've heard, and it never works. I have to stick with what works for me.

Natalie Murphy said...

I'm the same way as you. I have to have the same routine with my writing. If I try to write a different way my Muse refuses to cooperate. What a diva, hm?! LOL!

Sharla said...

Ditto and ditto!! I call it "my characters refusing to show up for work" I hate it when they get an attitude!

Kathryn Magendie said...

OH! I love those geckos! We don't have them here, but I had them at my Louisiana house - they would get on the window like that and eat the bugs - I found them so beautiful and interesting....this made me smile to remember them!