ROMANTIC WOMEN'S FICTION . . . WITH A PARANORMAL TWIST . . .

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Is it open season at your house?

Suzette at Shooting Stars had a post today about family support with her writing, and it got me thinking about it all day.

Enough to continue the question...

What do your families think about your writing? Does the word "hobby" come into play, or do they take it as seriously as you do? Do you get to treat it as the job you hope it will one day be, or are you scrambling to find writing time amidst the household chaos?

Me personally.... I'm pretty lucky in one respect. My husband supports my writing ambitions. Let me say that again. He supports my writing ambitions. He wants me to succeed...listens to me babble about agents and the publishing business...will read my ms if I ask (beg) and will read my query letters if I ask (bribe) him to. He and my kids think it will be fantastic one day when I get published.

When I get published.

It's that in between part that gets fuzzy. Do you experience that? I have actually managed to find a spot in my house that is quiet, phenomenally enough. The recliner in the living room. No one goes in there, so I get my laptop and commandeer the chair, and I love it. I've spouted the "have to treat this as a job if I ever want it to be" line enough that I know it's out there, but it's amazing how many breaks this job evidently has.

I can clearly get up, I'm not an invalid, so when someone has something they need to:

show me
tell me
ask me
beg me
have me make
have me cook
have me read
have me watch

then it's open season. Because I'm there, in a chair, in our living room. Not punched in somewhere. And not yet published. Funny how just that little sentence makes your writing somehow less important. Or like something that is important to you so they go along, as long as it doesn't interfere with things that are important to them.

What's your experiences with your family/friends/spouse/family pet....because let's face it, they think it's open season too.

I'm listening! Because you know what? You're important. And I think your writing time is precious!

5 comments:

Jen said...

Luckily my husband is supportive, I write on the weekends and he will either read or watch a show that he loves... what I call his man shows, lol

My mom and sisters are very much into it! They support everything I do!

My cats don't seem to mind until it comes into their petting schedule, then they can be somewhat of a bother.

Others don't take me seriously, they don't think it's a real gig, but I'll show them after all my hard work what I can produce!

Janna Qualman said...

For me it's like you said: My family takes it seriously until they need something. And I should expect that, at least with my kids, because they're still young. But it's better than it used to be. They're growing, better able to do things for themselves (if I don't fall prey to Mommy Syndrome, and jump in to help). And my husband has seen, through the time and energy I've put into it, that I'm serious, that I'm not just wasting time. I think he finally understands everything it takes, and he's better at allowing me that.

My biggest "problem" now is that my 7yo loves computer games, and she gets huffy when I've "spent all day on the computer." I have to remind her A) I'm a writer, which relies heavily on the computer and B) it's MY computer. ;)

Melissa Marsh said...

My daughter knows what I do, but at the age of 9, she doesn't quite comprehend all the work involved. Sometimes she'll see me plugging in my laptop and go, "Are you going to be writing AGAIN?" So I calmly tell her yes, then go and play Mario Kart with her for awhile. Procrastination at its finest!

My family is extremely supportive of me. They always have been. I can't imagine doing this without them.

Suzette Saxton said...

You linked to me! OMGosh, you are so sweet. I'm glad you found this post interesting. And I'm very glad you found such a lovely little nook in which to write.

楊承琳yaya said...

That's actually really cool!亂倫,戀愛ING,免費視訊聊天,視訊聊天,成人短片,美女交友,美女遊戲,18禁,
三級片,後宮電影院,85cc,免費影片,線上遊戲,色情遊戲,日本a片,美女,成人圖片區,avdvd,色情遊戲,情色貼圖,女優,偷拍,情色視訊,愛情小說,85cc成人片,成人貼圖站,成人論壇,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,免費a片,視訊美女,視訊做愛,免費視訊,伊莉討論區,sogo論壇,台灣論壇,plus論壇,維克斯論壇,情色論壇,性感影片,正妹,走光,色遊戲,情色自拍,kk俱樂部,好玩遊戲,免費遊戲,貼圖區,好玩遊戲區,中部人聊天室,情色視訊聊天室,聊天室ut,成人遊戲,免費成人影片,成人光碟,情色遊戲,情色a片,情色網,成人圖片區