ROMANTIC WOMEN'S FICTION . . . WITH A PARANORMAL TWIST . . .

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Hello, I'm Sharla Scroggs and I'm a Writer...(just sayin'...because I can)

I'm so buzzing with knowledge and information and the need to make it all happen RIGHT NOW.  DFW Writers Conference was sooooo awesome.   It was my first conference, and most definitely not my last.  It was also the first time I identified myself as a Paranormal Romance writer.  I don't know that I was sure that's what I was...that's what the current book is...but was I staying there?  Clearly, I am now!  And I like it.

I can't explain how amazing it was for me, a person living in a small town with no other writers around, to be in such phenomenal company.  It sold out at 300.  I was in awe, looking around the room on opening day...(after we were late because of the construction.... but yay Stephanie's hubby for being the hero!)

And I got to meet ChristaCarol Jones and Tiffany Neal, which was really neat to meet in person after all this time.  And made some wonderful new friends that I want to stay connected with forever!  Maria and Kimmy and Carla and Stephanie...you know we really WERE at the good table.  LOL! 

Meeting published authors and agents and such a group of people willing to bend over backwards to help us, to teach us....  Kristen Lamb...girl, besides the fantastic social media classes (I know, I still have to fix some things)  I learned more about plotting a book standing out on the patio at 11pm as we broke down the dynamics of Top Gun (besides the volleyball scene)!!   **Protaganist...Verb...Antagonist...Goal**  My god, I don't think I'll ever forget that!!  LOL

Loved it all!  Still soaking it all in, and still have much work ahead.  Still have a ton to post about...but it is 11:30pm and I have a 6 hour drive home tomorrow, so MUST shut down now.  More later~!

6 comments:

Casse AKA Catholic Kittie said...

Can you feel my jealousy beaming at you even through the screen? lol I wish I would have been able to go. For goodness sakes it was in my own backyard! sheesh.
Glad you had fun, fellow para rom writer!

Casse

ChristaCarol said...

Loved that we met!! Sorry I didn't get to say goodbye yesterday, I was in a sleep-deprived fog. But it was so great, we'll have to do it again next year for sure! Glad you had a great time :)

Mandy said...

I love your new blog layout! It's so great you were able to attend a conference. I'm SO jealous! I live in a small town too, with no one to really network with. All of my writer friends live in other states. I can't wait for follow up posts, to hear about what you learned at the conference! Woohoo!

Kristen Lamb said...

Glad to be so much help. Makes me feel good to know I could get you going in the right direction...or at least a more focused one.

Btw...

It is:
Protagonist, ACTIVE Verb, Antagonist, Goal, :D. Self-actualization is best left in therapy.

Just tormenting.

Great start and feel free to contact me if you need any help at all. The WarriorWriters blog I write will have a lot of helpful information to help you become stronger in your craft.

http://warriorwriters.wordpress.com/

Hope to see you again soon. Good luck and happy writing.

Janna Qualman said...

It sounds so awesome! Really glad you had a good time, Sharla.

Tiffany Neal said...

It was great getting to meet you in person also! :)

A face to the blog! Love it!

My brain has been on overload since the conference. I'm trying to file everything away and get it where it needs to be so I can get out of this fog!