ROMANTIC WOMEN'S FICTION . . . WITH A PARANORMAL TWIST . . .

Monday, April 19, 2010

True Story

I have nothing to blog about today, so can I ramble?  Do you mind?  Because I've had something tickling my brain since Friday. 

Friday was April 16th.  While that probably holds no special meaning for you, it happens to be my grandmother's birthday.  This particular grandma (Maw Maw) has been gone some 25 years now, but was really amazing to me when I was a kid.  She was a "stuff" collector of the extreme sort, in the way that there was literally just a path to her kitchen, to her living room chair, to the bathroom, and to the bedroom.  Everything else was piled high.  With stuff.  I remember my parents being so disgusted with it and I could never understand it.  I thought it was the coolest place in the world.  She loved clutter.  You could turn around at almost any point and find something to pick up, explore, and in most cases even open because much of what she would buy would land somewhere and never be touched again.  You could sit in the living room chair and not be seen from the kitchen, and I found that to be the best kind of hiding place--hiding in plain sight! 

The only thing that bothered me there, was the fact that there were stairs.  Stairs leading up to something I never got to see.  Because the piles in front of and on the staircase were too high.  I used to try to figure out how I could climb over those piles, and make it up to the mystery floor.  But I never did.

In my latest novel, the main character's birthday is April 16th (not by accident), which is also the day her mother died, which is also the day some other significant things happen.  Kind of a big day in there.  And while my husband and I were eating out on Friday night, I mentioned what day it was and how I might have forgotten about it if the date hadn't made itself important in what I was writing.  Ten minutes later, a breeze brushed my left side, blowing my napkin off the table. 

It occurred to me that there was no breeze, and no air vents close by.  No waiter hurrying past that would generate such movement.   But I blew it off (no pun intended) and continued with the evening.

Probably another ten or fifteen minutes later, with no one else around ( I checked ), it happened again.  The breeze went by my left side, moving my hair, and blowing the napkin off the table again.  I watched it flutter down as goosebumps worked their way down my back.  My husband didn't notice, he was watching the big screen tv on the wall. 

I left the napkin where it was.  Figured she'd like it that way.

10 comments:

Travis Erwin said...

Very cool story.

Lori said...

You know it's funny you should mention it...cause something similiar, not specifically, but paranormally, happened to me as well on the day we buried Nana.
We were all walking towards the moselium for the final service, and out of the corner of my right eye I saw a figure peeking around the corner of the neighboring moselium. When I did a double take, I saw a slim, but tall woman turn and walk behind the building. The woman was identical to the younger Nana pictured standing on the car.
After that, there were no more tears for me. All I could was smile, because I knew that she was still with us...watching to make sure all her chicks were behaving I'm sure. LOL!
Since I know she's watching around the corners, I have kept her glass cake display full with some kind of goodie at all times(chocolate cake right now). I think that's how she would want it. I want to try to make her Lemon Merange Pie this summer...cause that's what really belongs there.
Do you have her old recipe?

Sharla said...

OMG Lori, that is too wild. And I've had experiences with both of them quite a few times, so I have no doubt.

Yes, I have that recipe and I haven't been brave enough to do it yet! What I really want is the pecan bars, but I can't find it. I'll get it and scan for you.

ChristaCarol said...

I got chills!

Billy Coffey said...

What a great story. And I'm glad you left the napkin where it was. I think she would like it that way, too.

OfficeGirl said...

Creepy story! Very cool!
The other night I walked into my son's room and the light switched on all by itself. I paused, looked around..and said "Thank you ghost person."
it felt like the right thing to do.

Janna Qualman said...

Sharla, this post is awesome. As in, full of awe. Amazing! And I love the way you wrote it; more of your writing came through.

I believe it. It was your Maw Maw.

Lotty said...

I stumbled onto you site via Janna’s 'something she wrote' blog. I have to say I read a few of your posts and truly enjoyed them. I’m going to come back on a regular basis and check it out again. Please keep writing, I love your style.
All the best
Lotty xxx

colbymarshall said...

Aw, that's very cool. I've had moments like that with people I've lost. I think if you're open to them, the people you lost give you little gifts like that :-)

Sorry I've been MIA from your blog for so long, btw. Have had tons going on, but hopefully I'll be back by more regularly now!

Nishant said...

I want to try to make her Lemon Merange Pie this summer.
Banner Advertising Network India