ROMANTIC WOMEN'S FICTION . . . WITH A PARANORMAL TWIST . . .

Friday, February 18, 2011

What's in a Title?

If you read the below post, you know my writing journey has taken a decidedly NORTH direction.  LOL.  Now, think about that.  Any time you make a sudden change in direction, what happens?  You kick up some dust.  My house is all about swirly dust right now...and not just because I haven't cleaned it. 

I don't know if agents realize it, but they're magic.



Yep.

With one phone call, they change the life of the person they are calling.  Just like that.  They kick up some dust.  Everybody goes scrambling...jumping up and down (okay maybe that was just me) ...conversations are different now...LIFE is different now.  And lord it hasn't even really started yet!  lol

Okay, got off the subject, I really wanted to talk about...

            TITLES

I'm having to change mine, and possibly it won't matter anyway if the future editor doesn't like that one either....they'll change it again.  But I'm curious.

What grabs you in a title?

Do you like the long, crazy titles, or do the one-word ones speak to you?  What makes you pick up a book to give it a once-over?

2 comments:

Dawn Alexander said...

I am terrible at titles for my work.

The titles that draw me in leave something to the imagination. I don't like titles that give away the whole book. "The boss and his secretary's secret marriage".

I like titles that make me wonder what the book is about. D.U.F.F. for example or "The girl who chased the moon."
My mind wants to know what is Duff and how was the girl chasing the moon.

I remember reading a short story once that was titled, "Never Say Goodbye" which was the title of a song popular at the time.

I hated the story because it had nothing to do with saying goodbye. It looked like they had chosen that title simple to draw in teenage girls who were crazy about Bon Jovi. I felt cheated!

Rosemary said...

Hey Sharla,
As you already know, I've given lots of thoughts to titles. ;>

Recently, two titles that have grabbed me are The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown, and I Still Dream About You by Fannie Flagg.

Brown's hooked me with the Shakespeare reference--a subject close to my heart--and I just found Flagg's kind of haunting. Was it an old boyfriend? A child?
It's also rhythmic; I find the sound of a title and the feel of it in my mouth is very important to me.