ROMANTIC WOMEN'S FICTION . . . WITH A PARANORMAL TWIST . . .

Monday, March 28, 2011

Monday's thoughts on treading water...

Where are you in your writing right now?

I've started a new wip in the wake of my last book being out there on submission to pub houses.  That in itself is a nail-biting experience in patience that I'm not known for.  LOL.  But I have found that the only way to stay sane during that process is to dive into another one.

Sometimes that is difficult.  It's kind of like sending your child off to college.  Outside your control, outside your choices, all on their own.  Doesn't make you quit worrying about them!  You worry about them constantly....will they do okay?  Will they succeed?  Will they fall flat?  Will they come back home kicked out of school?  LOL. 

But in the meantime, you have to go about your own regular life, and that's what I'm doing writing-wise.  I see the stages of writing as below...

1) Infatuation and giddiness and this is the best thing since sliced bread. Ideas exploding all over the place.  Can't wait to jump in the water!

2) Knee deep and questioning the integrity of the water.  It seems to change colors daily, and sometimes is muddy, sometimes looks like KoolAid, and sometimes looks more like quicksand.  Plots can't make up their mind.

3) Waist deep and have surpassed the psycho multi-colored levels at the shallower end.  Water is blue and clear and making sense. Can actually see the bottom and the end.

4) Neck deep and panicky because the bottom is unlevel and keeps dropping under your feet.  Confusion sets in.  If you could juuuuussssttttt get to that next step, you just know things will level out.

5) Water level is lowering again, as you reach the other side.  You can see the beach, but the current keeps going back and forth so every time you think you're almost there...surprise!  Back 20 feet.

6) Rush of waves push you to the end.  YAY!!!!


I've been in that psychodelic number 2 place for the last few weeks, where things change by the day, sometimes by the minute.  I'm currently going back to rework my beginning since my characters woke up the other day and told me I was doing it all wrong and THIS was how it should be. 

And they were right.

So I'm coming out of #2 ( I hope ) and heading toward #3.  But not there yet.

Where are you?

6 comments:

funny in the 'hood said...

I'm preparing to query book 1 and thoughts and ideas for book 2 are starting to form. I hate pushing them away, but I need to hit "send" and send book 1 out there before I can move forward with anything else.

And all the ideas for book 2 sound kind of stupid in my head, so I'm a bit worried about that. But book 1 once sounded stupid, too and it turned out okay :)

Tracey

Sharla Scroggs said...

oh yeah, my original book ideas never make the final cut. What initially gets me going and all excited are generally the things that wash out during stage 2 when everything goes wonky for a bit and then settles in for the real deal. I tell no one anything during that time because it all sounds retarded. LOL.

funny in the 'hood said...

Lol! The retarded ideas are like bloopers we don't have to share with anyone! Some of mine are totally cringe worthy.

Linda Hoye said...

Hi Sharla,

I think in the fifth stage (today anyway) with my book. I spent a lot of time going back and forth between the second and forth stages in recent months but I think (fingers crossed) I am in five for the time being anyway. 'Course my book is a memoir and I know the characters but, trust me, that doesn't make it any easier! Good luck with yours!

'Tis a process, isn't it?!

Samantha Sotto-Yambao said...

Your stages are spot on. And when you get to the end...it starts all over again :D

Melissa Marsh said...

I'm anxiously awaiting the moment I can return to my WIP - which is in serious need of a rewrite. But since I'm moving, I haven't had the time or mental energy to devote to it.