ROMANTIC WOMEN'S FICTION . . . WITH A PARANORMAL TWIST . . .

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Wordmongering...have you done it today?

Calling all Twitterers!  Tweeters!  Tweeps?!

Whatever you choose to answer to, listen up.  We've (and by we, I mean two other people, not me :) I just came in on the newness of it) set up a most awesome hashtag on Twitter for word sprints.

It's called #wordmongering.



It is a simple 30-minute race of sorts.  At the top of each hour, or on the half hour, depending on where it starts that day.  Someone says GO and you're off.  Thirty solid minutes of pounding out words, without editing (if you can) or however you write best.  When the time's up, you report back with your word count, using the #wordmongering hashtag.  It's competitive, but more than that it's fun and encouragement.  We celebrate everyone's progress, and you'd be surprised how easy your word count will jump.

Then we take the second thirty minutes as down time to go do whatever needs doing or to edit or to chat on Twitter about it, whatever...it's just a break.  Then it's time to go again.  You can bail out for a couple of hours and come back later.  What started as just a few people has quickly grown, so there are people participating pretty much around the clock now.  More than likely, it will get to a point where alternating groups (a group at :00, a group at :30) go so people don't have to wait if they miss their time.

I actually write faster and better if I do longhand first, so this has been challenging for me.  I may switch things out here and there and try doing it longhand and just reporting pages.  It doesn't matter, there isn't a measuring stick or anything, it's just a tool to get you writing.

You can set up your TweetDeck or whatever dashboard you use, for the hashtag so finding wordmongering tweeps is easy! 

Come join us!!  #wordmongering

8 comments:

Autumn Dickinson said...

I have found my new addiction with #wordmongering! I have been in a bit of a writing funk and this totally got me going again. Everyone should give it a try at least once or twice and see if it is for them.

Leslie said...

What a great idea! I'll see you there.

Erin Brambilla said...

Yay for #wordmongering. I was considering doing a blog post on it too, I'll link yours up if I do :). I love how supportive everyone has been and, as someone motivated by deadlines, it has really pushed me to get words in during the day. The 30 minutes on/30 minutes off schedule works well for me as a stay-at-home-mom too. Get my son some playdoh and a snack. Write for 30 minutes (which is as long as his attention span will go). Then reset. Pretty awesome.

Monica-Marie Holtkamp said...

HI! Moni here... one of the "Co-Parents" of #wordmongering. Unite & Write.

I wanted to say THANK YOU to Sharla for this plug! It's awesome to see it and I even teared up!

Like Sharla said, come join us! Yes, it's sprints, but there is no pressure. Just write whatever you can. As long as you have some words down on the page, on the screen, on the parchment that's what matters! Mostly mongering is about supporting each other and like Autumn had mentioned getting out of the funk. After all, even if you only do on mongering session that day, at least you got a half an hour of solid writing done!

Come join us! We're a friendly bunch, we're really NOT slave drivers I promise! ;)

Stefanie said...

I've been seeing this hashtag pop up in my feed a lot here lately! Was wondering what it's all about. Thanks for explaining it in this post; I might have to give it a try. It sounds fun!

Becca J. Campbell said...

Sounds great! I've missed word sprints since NaNoWriMo. I can't wait to participate now that I know about it.

Hope to see you around Twitter!

Meaghan said...

I am TOTALLY joining you for some #wordmongering tonight!

Meaghan said...

I am TOTALLY joining you for some #wordmongering tonight!