ROMANTIC WOMEN'S FICTION . . . WITH A PARANORMAL TWIST . . .

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Oh What A Tangled Web

Over at my fabulous fantastic agent's blog today, there is a post from Janet Bolin whose novel Dire Threads released TODAY!  *copious clapping*

What also tickled me today was Janet's trip down memory lane about storytelling.  How she made up stories as a kid.  I'll let you go over there to BookEnds to read it.

Done?

K.

It really brought back some crazy memories of some the lies stories I concocted as a child.  Wayyyyy out there at times.  I commented over there, but I'll repeat it all here.

I convinced a boy in the 2nd grade that I had a twin, and then I'd act out that "twin's" personality the next day. Frighteningly enough, someone else commented that they did the same thing.  Can't believe someone else did that too! That same year, we had to draw a pic of our family. Mine was boring, so I added all kinds of people, not realizing it would go on the wall for family night Open House to view.

But it didn't start there. In first grade, we got two Hispanic girls in our class who barely knew English and since I was top reader in my class, I was put with them to help them. I was so in awe (never met or seen Hispanics before at that time) that I started telling them and everyone else that my parents were Hispanic and that I was an adopted white girl.

Oh...and that just reminded me of an old lady that would walk her dog down our street every day and I'd regale her with stories of how I was really a Cherokee Indian and a rare one with blue eyes and white-blond hair.

Hmmm, seems I had identity issues.

I'd also make up things to shock my best friend. When she'd complain if I had to go to church, I'd tell her that it was cool because we dressed up in blue spangles and dance around a room. (oh my gosh).

No wonder we writers are just a little off. LOL!

So when did you start telling stories?   Share some of yours! 

2 comments:

Patricia said...

Oh, those stories are just precious, Sharla. Especially the one about you saying your parents were Hispanic and you were adopted. Priceless! I've always loved telling real-life stories with a little embellishment here and there to make people laugh. I think I got that from my father who was a jokester.
Thanks for a smile.
Patti

Sharla Rae said...

Fun blog, Sharla. I didn't lie much but if people could have read my mind -- maybe I should put that in the present tense -- they would lock me in the loony house.
The other Sharla, Sharla Rae